Poetry Submissions – CLOSED until October 20, 2023
1. Send ONE poem to firstname.lastname@example.org with SUBMISSION in the subject heading.
The poem may be in the body of the email or an attachment (PDF, text, Word document, Google Docs, etc. No image files.). No cover letter is necessary.
2. Response time is one week via publication. If your poem doesn’t appear online within one week, it won’t be published.
No formal acceptance or response will be sent. Read Autumn Sky Poetry DAILY for one week from the date of your submission and you will find out if your poem was chosen for publication when it either does or doesn’t appear online.
3. Include links to your website, Facebook, Instagram, etc. No bio is necessary.
4. Reprints and previously published poems are welcome. Please mention that your poem has been previously published and where so that proper credit can be posted with the poem.
5. Poets retain copyright. Poems remain online indefinitely.
6. Simultaneous submissions are accepted.
7. There is no payment for contributors.
8. Please include the name of the form (sestina, sonnet, prose poem, haiku, etc.).
9. I do NOT accept art submissions.
10. Absolutely no artificial intelligence (AI) bot generated, conceived, assisted, composed, or etc. poems will be accepted.
Saturday Book Feature Submissions (for previous contributors only)
1. Send ONE poem from your book or chapbook to email@example.com with BOOK POEM SUBMISSION in the subject heading.
The poem may be in the body of the email or an attachment (PDF, text, Word document, etc., but no image files). No cover letter is necessary.
2. Include buy links for your book.
3. Attach an image file of your book’s cover to the email with the name of the cover artist or designer so that proper credit can be given.
4. Response time is one week, on Monday, via email. Submissions will not be held past one week. If your poem/book is not chosen for this feature, please feel free to submit again.
5. This feature is only open to previous contributors. There is no requirement for the book poem submitted to have been published at Autumn Sky Poetry DAILY. The only requirement for this feature is a previous publication of a poem in Autumn Sky Poetry DAILY.
6. Please be aware that because there are a limited number of Saturdays in a year, there will be limited space for this feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. No formal acceptance or response? Seriously? That’s rude!
It may be rude, but it greatly simplifies my life and makes running a daily poetry journal possible. If I had to reply to every submission I received, I’d probably lock myself in a closet and cry until I passed out. This also persuades (*cough* tricks *cough*) more readers to check out the published poetry, so really, it’s a win-win situation.
2. You published my poem but it has a typo/error/glaring mistake! Why don’t you send out proofs? How do I get this fixed?
Easy: send me an email and I’ll fix it. I don’t do proofs because this is a daily and I don’t have time to do the whole sending out proofs thing and still have a life.
3. You published my poem and tagged it as free verse, but it’s actually a formal poem.
Whoops! Send me an email and I’ll re-tag the poem correctly.
4. This is supposed to be a daily, but there is no poem today? What happened?
It’s the weekend, I’m on vacation, or no good poems crossed my email desk. I won’t post a poem unless I receive something worth sharing. Occasionally, I will go on hiatus.
5. Why no cover letter? Why no bio?
Who you are doesn’t matter. If you write a great poem, I will publish it.
6. You published someone’s art and this is a poetry daily! What gives?
Every once in a while I’m going to veer to the side and publish artwork. I do not accept art submissions. However, if I happen across something beautiful, I may contact you for permission to publish your work.
7. There are typos/errors/glaring grammar mistakes on your website!
Don’t panic! Just send me an email and I’ll fix it.
8. How much does it cost to run this thing?
Around $320 USD a year for the website, domain, and various other things. Submitting poems is free and will always remain free, as will reading the poetry and email subscriptions. I pay for the site and general costs via sales of my art and novels.
9. Why aren’t you paying poets for their poems?
I truly wish I could, because I firmly believe that artists should be paid for their work, but unfortunately, this is a non-profit venture and most poetry doesn’t sell (unless you’re Robert Frost). At the very least, I can promise submitting and reading will always remain free.
Six Questions For…
Jim Harrington asks editors six questions:
This page was last updated on September 1, 2023.